Stu, Alan, and Phil were born in a mythical world not too far from Shrek's world, and looks almost similar to it. Stu lived in a village in a swamp, Alan lived in a dark forest village populated by goblins, and Phil lived in a forest not too far from Stu's hometown. They all met each other in the hallways where Phil was patrolling them as a hall monitor. They were getting along as friends, but Phil was probably too much for Stu and Alan. Especially when Phil gives them detention for dim-witted, but justifyable reasons. But this goes too far when Stu gets fed up and rips a referral in anger, causing a huge offense. They beg Phil to let them off the hook, but he refuses, and has them both suspended.
When they come back from suspension, Stu and Alan become angry at Phil, believing that Phil thinks that his job is more important to him than his friends, and they both end their friendship with him. But soon, their history teacher hears about their actions against Phil, and is very disappointed about it. He tells them that Phil had been an outcast in his younger years, and was the victim of several bullies who were never punished, leaving Phil with no friends at all, and that he became a hall monitor of pure luck, making him a greater person for the first time in his life, and that it pained him whenever he thought about having no friends. This makes Stu and Alan feel guilty about reminding him of that painful time, and they catch him before he can quit being a hall monitor. The talk was long and heart-breaking, but Stu and Alan apologize for being jerks to him, and the 3 become friends again. They all decide to become hall monitors, and when they pass school, they head to Magic University together.
They become the hall monitors of MU, and eventually meet Taiku and his friends, joining them. They go into many magic classes, and they will soon face a great challenge when they meet Twilight Sparkle.
- (Phil): You see... We started out as good friends in the same school. But thing is... It was hard for me. You see, I became hall monitor so I can be up in the big leagues and not be pushed around. But... Also to be more social. But Stu and Alan? They... They had their doubts in trusting me when I met them. They didn't want to believe it, but... Then came the time, when they had to learn a hard lesson.
- Stu: IS THIS FUNNY?!? (Gives them a detention slip) WE WERE TOSSED AROUND BY THAT BRUTE RUSSEL, AND YOU JUST LEFT HIM UNPUNISHED?!? I THOUGHT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE FRIENDS!
- Phil: We ARE friends! It's just, you were the one who escalated it by embarrassing him wrongfully.
- Alan: WRONG?!? HE'S THE KIND OF GUY THAT MAKES US EAT PENCIL SHAVINGS!!! AND YOU RATHER STICK UP TO THE FACULTY THAN FOR US?!? YOU... YOU STUPID SON OF A- (They ripped the slip in rage, shocking Phil)
- Phil: (Gasps) Guys!
- Stu/Alan: WHAT?!?
- Phil: You ripped a detention slip! That's a punishable offense! (They saw what they did)
- Stu:... Phil, please! Don't do this! We're your friends!
- Phil: (He put a magic bondage on them)... Sorry, guys! But it's the rules!
- (Phil): And they spent time in suspension in agonizing labor as punishment for this second offense. They didn't enjoy it one bit. But... Then they decided to take their anger out on me. (They were in the cafeteria as Phil sat next to them and they left as he kept following)
- Phil: Guys, what's the problem?
- Alan: I think we all know the problem here, traitor!
- Phil:... What's that supposed to mean?
- Stu: Duh! You made it pretty clear days ago that your job is more important to you than us!
- Phil: (He hid the pain those words brought)... Excuse me?
- Alan: You heard us! You'd rather turn your backs on your friends in favor of some dumb hall monitor job!
- Phil: Are you saying that I should not enforce the rules and support the ones who broke them? You break the rules, you pay the price!
- Stu: We're not saying that one bit! You just picked the wrong position to have friends in. You didn't even give an inch of support for us.
- Phil: It's not my job to do that!
- Alan:... Just as we thought! Your job IS more important than friendship!
- Stu: Yeah! I can see why you never had any friends! (Their words were hurting him)... 5 seconds after you make friends with people, you already turn on them!
- Phil: Guys, please-
- Alan: No! Our friendship is over! We never wanna see your ugly face again! Now get the f***away from us! (Phil was hurt as he left in sadness)...
- Stu:... Man, that felt good!
- Alan: Yeah! Shows him right! If there's anything that big fat green booger should learn, it's that friendships are dangerous in his line of work.
- (Stu): But apparently, someone noticed this and reported it. So... They brought us into an intervention.